
Lebanon’s health ministry said 10 people, including six paramedics and a Syrian girl, were killed in Israeli air strikes on southern Lebanon on Friday. These attacks are taking place almost every day from both sides and continue despite the fragile US-brokered ceasefire in the Israel-Hezbollah war. The ministry said the first attack took place on the village of Hanuiyeh, killing four paramedics from Hezbollah’s Islamic Health Association and wounding two others, including a paramedic.
Another attack on Deir Qanun al-Nahar village in coastal Tire province on Friday morning killed six people, including a Syrian child and two paramedics from the al-Risala Scouts Association, the ministry said. The Al-Risala Scouts Association is a paramedic group affiliated with the Amal Movement, an affiliate of Hezbollah.
violation of international law
Apart from this, six people were injured, including three paramedics and a Syrian woman. The Health Ministry said that both attacks violated international law. On Thursday, the UN World Health Organization (WHO) reported 169 confirmed attacks on health workers and facilities in Lebanon, killing 116, since the start of the Israel-Hezbollah war.
Israel and Hezbollah attacks continue
The Israeli army did not respond to a request for comment. Earlier, Israel had accused the Iran-backed Hezbollah terrorist group of using ambulances as cover for terrorist activities without providing any evidence. Despite the US-brokered ceasefire, attacks by Israel and Hezbollah continue.
Death toll exceeds 3,000
Earlier this week, Lebanon’s health ministry said the death toll from the latest round of fighting in Lebanon between Israel and Iran-backed Hezbollah had risen to more than 3,000. The Israel-Hezbollah war began on March 2, when Hezbollah fired rockets at northern Israel, two days after the US and Israel launched attacks on Iran, the Lebanese militant group’s main backer.
Attempt to hinder disarmament efforts
On Friday, the Lebanese Army and the General Security Directorate issued a statement saying that their officers are disciplined, professional and completely loyal to their institutions and the nation. These statements come a day after the US Treasury Department imposed sanctions on Hezbollah-linked lawmakers, state security officials and associates of the militant group. They are accused of trying to maintain the Iran-backed group’s influence over Lebanese state institutions and hinder disarmament efforts.
This is the first time Washington has imposed sanctions on Lebanon’s current state security officials. One of them is from the General Security Directorate and the other is from the Military Intelligence Department. Both are accused of providing illegal support and intelligence to Hezbollah during the current conflict.
Leave a Reply