
The massive fire that broke out in a 31-storey multi-storey residential complex in Hong Kong has not been extinguished even for the second day. Fire brigade personnel are busy extinguishing the fire. So far, 94 people have been confirmed dead in this incident. More than 280 people are still missing. According to officials, the search for all the people is going on. This is being described as the biggest tragedy of the city in the last 70 years.
Hong Kong’s local official said that about 76 people have been injured in this incident, out of which 43 are in critical condition. A fireman is also among the dead. Many people are still trapped in buildings. The massive fire that broke out in four of the seven blocks has been brought under control, while the fire continued to burn on the upper floors of the remaining 31-storey buildings on Thursday evening. Employees are busy extinguishing the fire. Heavy police force has been deployed for this work. Local hospitals have also been kept in alert mode. Meanwhile, Chinese President Xi Jinping expressed grief over the massive fire that broke out in this residential building on Wednesday night and directed officials to make every possible effort to extinguish the fire.
Seven buildings completely burnt down
According to the news of Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post, large-scale rescue operations are going on and people still trapped are being evacuated from the buildings. The exact cause of the fire that broke out on Wednesday at the Wang Fuk Court complex, located in the northern suburbs bordering Hong Kong in Tai Po district, is not yet known and a criminal investigation has been launched into the matter. City officials say more than 280 people are still missing. In this accident, seven buildings have been completely burnt down, each of which has 32 storeys.
Government announced relief
The Hong Kong government has announced relief of 300 million Hong Kong dollars (about 43 million US dollars) for the affected people. Hundreds of displaced residents have been shifted to temporary shelters. The Wang Fuk Court complex, built in 1983 in Tai Po District, consists of eight high-rise buildings containing 1,984 flats. According to the 2021 census, about 4,600 people live in these buildings.
3 people arrested so far
According to China’s state news agency Xinhua, the Hong Kong Police Force said on Thursday that three men have been arrested in connection with the fire. The three persons arrested by the police are officials of the construction company which was responsible for installing these materials during the renovation of the buildings.
Leave a Reply